Punta Gorda Police and ABT Team Up for Underage Alcohol Sales Sweep
Original Post: October 21, 2019
Punta Gorda Police Detectives and State Investigators from the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (ABT) Bureau of Law Enforcement teamed up on Thursday, October 17, 2019 for an enforcement sweep in the City of Punta Gorda targeting the sales of alcoholic beverages to minors. The operation included compliance checks at fourteen local commercial establishments in the City of Punta Gorda licensed to sell alcoholic beverages. Thirteen of the fourteen establishments were found to be in compliance.
The commercial establishments that were found to be in compliance and did NOT sell alcohol to a minor were:
- Antar’s Food Mart / Marathon (1002 Tamiami Trail)
- PGI Liquor (615 Cross Street)
- Old Town Convenience (311 West Marion Avenue)
- Circle K / Shell (3035 Tamiami Trail)
- 7 Eleven (3139 Tamiami Trail)
- Walgreens (3795 Tamiami Trail)
- Circle K / Mobil (3949 Tamiami Trail)
- Publix (3941 Tamiami Trail)
- Sunoco (10001 Burnt Store Road)
- Wal-Mart Liquor (5001 Taylor Road)
- Murphy Oil (29359 Jones Loop Road)
- CVS (1949 Tamiami Trail)
- Publix (2310 Tamiami Trail)
The commercial establishment that was found NOT to be in compliance and DID sell alcohol to a minor was:
- Dollar General (1300 Tamiami Trail)
This operation was the result of a continuing partnership between ABT and the Punta Gorda Police Department to curb the illegal sale of alcoholic beverages and tobacco to minors. The Punta Gorda Police Department, along with Drug Free Charlotte County and ABT, will continue to work constructively with local retail establishments where violations occur to ensure that employees are educated regarding Florida law. Operations like this one will continue.
Chief Pam Davis urges all individuals to report the illegal sale of alcoholic beverages and tobacco to law enforcement. Violations within the incorporated city limits of Punta Gorda can be reported to the Punta Gorda Police Department by calling 941-639-4111.